POLICE OFFICER - Full Time
The Tomah Police Department
is NOT accepting
applications for a full-time Police Officer vacancy and eligibility
Applications must have been received in person or postmarked by July 24, 2015 at 4:00 p.m. for the most current process. An electronic submission (Fax or E-Mail) of your application packet will NOT be accepted.
Please contact us with any questions:
Click HERE to get the application packet!
(PDF file that contains application packet and fill in DJLE330 form)
The following qualifications and standards are established to insure hiring the best candidate for employment. The minimum qualifications are:
- Must be a citizen of the United States and a resident of the State of Wisconsin upon hire.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must possess a valid Wisconsin Driver's License at the time of employment.
- Must possess a minimum of 60 semester hour/credits from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- Must be of good moral character as determined by a psychological evaluation.
- Vision corrected to 20/20.
- Preference is given to those possessing a Wisconsin Law Enforcement Standards Board certification.
- No felony or domestic abuse related convictions.
- Applications for employment may be made to:
Lieutenant Ron Waddell or Lieutenant Scott Holum
Tomah Police Department
805 Superior Avenue
Tomah, WI 54660
(608) 374-7407 // (608) 374-7409
- Applicants must submit a comprehensive letter of application, a current resume, a DJ-LE-330, and provide the additional information as noted on page two of the application packet. APPLICATIONS ARE ACCEPTED FOR ADVERTISED VACANCIES ONLY! Applications are screened and those who appear to meet the minimum requirements will be invited to take a physical fitness exam. Those applicants who successfully complete the fitness test will be required to successfully complete the following steps:
- A written test.
- A Personnel Evaluation Performance test.
- An oral interview with the members of the Police Department Staff.
- An oral interview with Police and Fire Commission.
- A comprehensive background investigation.
- A psychological and medical examination, to include a drug screen. This step is performed after
a conditional offer of employment has been made.
- A 12 month probationary period is required for new applicants. This may be extended if needed.
PHYSICAL FITNESS TEST REQUIREMENTS
The physical fitness test is conducted as a pass or fail test. To advance through the fitness testing, you must pass each test. If you do not pass the fitness test, you will not be invited to take the written test or the PEP test that follows. The following is the minimum requirements required to receive a passing score:
- Vertical Jump: 15.5"
- One (1) Minute Sit-Up: 30 Reps
- 300 Meter Run: 66 Seconds
- One (1) Minute Push-Up: 25 Reps
- One and One-Half (1.5) Mile Run: 15:54 Minutes
* All testing is provided at no expense to the applicant, however, travel expenses are not reimbursable or covered. Any step in the process may eliminate an applicant. Completion of all steps does not guarantee employment. The Tomah Police Department is committed to conducting a fair and non-biased employment process.
** The Tomah Police Department is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER **
- New Employee
The information provided below is subject to negotiated change and based upon the 2013-2014 Tomah Professional Police Association union contract. This is may not be a complete list of benefits provided to employees. Other benefits include accrued compensatory time, an option to participate in the Wisconsin Deferred Compensation program, call-in pay, court time, shift premium, overtime assignments, and training opportunities.
- Beginning base pay for a Police Officer is $46,072.00 (July 1, 2014). The City has the ability
to start a new employee at a higher rate than entry level based on the qualifications and experience
of the applicant. Top patrol pay is $48,713.60 (July 1, 2014) after 10 years of service.
- After one year of service, employees receive 5 days, 10 days after two years, 15 days after
eight years, 20 days after twelve years, 25 days after twenty years, and 30 days after 25 years
- 8.5 paid holidays per year, along with two floating holidays.
- Employees receive one (1) day of sick leave per month upon hire.
- Employees receive one (1) day per year to be used from their sick leave accumulation.
- Insurance premiums for single coverage is up to 15% of City premium per month.
- Insurance premiums for family coverage is up to 15% of City premium per month.
- Normal retirement is at age 53 with 25 or more years of service. A contribution of 7.0% to the
State Retirement System is required for new employees.
Uniforms and Uniform Allowance
- The Department provides initial issue of all uniforms, duty belt, and ballistic vest.
- Applicants will be required to acquire a personally owned handgun consistent with the
Department polices for duty purposes.
- At the beginning of the first full year, Officers are allowed a $600 uniform allowance per year.
- Uniformed Officers work 8.5 hour days on a yearly fixed shift with four days on, two days
off. Shifts are picked annually by seniority. Current shifts are 6AM to 230PM, 2PM to 1030PM,
7PM to 330AM, 10PM to 630AM.
- College level courses taken with a degree-producing program are reimbursed up to 50% of one course
- Field Training Officer
- DARE / GREAT Officer
- K-9 Officer
- Monroe County Combined Tactical Unit
- Promotions or Supervisor Opportunities
HERE to get the application packet *
(Includes fill in PDF DJLE330)
WILENET - Police Job Postings